Volley Square is so much fun for all ages. What is it? Well, it's a combination of Volley Ball and Four Square. But Volley Square is easier to say. Fast set up, can be played inside and out. Great fun for youth groups, schools, family reunions, volleyball teams, corporate events and more.
We provide the connectors and all the instructions and game ideas. You can purchase the PVC pipe* at your closest box store. And a simple ball from the bin at your local discount store. The total cost is about $170. That's not a lot for so much fun!
We sell the connectors separately so you can make it as big as you want.
*PVC pipe not included due to high shipping costs. PVC pipe costs approximately $112 at your local box store. Non-profit? Check with your local box store for a donation of the PVC pipe.
Volley Square - How to Play
- Each player stands in one of the four squares.
- To start the game, the player in square four serves the ball by hitting it towards one of the other squares. The receiving player then hits the ball to any other player in one of the other squares.
- If a player hits the ball so that it misses another player's square, or fails to hit the ball after it has landed in their square, they are "out".
- When a player is out, the other players move up to take their place, and that player moves to the last square, or to the end of the line if there are more than four players.
- The object of the game is to move up to and hold the server's position.
Four Square - Different Variations
- Instead of numbering the squares 1 to 4, you can play the game by naming the squares Ace, King, Queen, Jack, or in some other ranking order.
- Could also use the Volley Square for teaching opportunities like learning multiplication tables, or memorizing dates or names.
- If you have eight or more players, you can have two players for each square. Each time a player hits the ball to another square, they will jump out of the court, and their partner will jump in. The two players will keep trading places each time the ball is hit towards their square.
- When players hit the ball, they must also call out the name of a country, a state an animal, a movie star, or whatever the category may be. This could be done alphabetically, A-anteater, B-buffalo, C-cat and so on. (State names would be easy if the kids had been taught Fifty Nifty United States song ) A player is out if they repeat something that's already been said.
Game/Instructions are included with purchase and emailed at purchase for prep before connectors arrive.